Cinnamon Quinoa – Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free
We found that this recipe for Instant Pot Cinnamon Quinoa works well as a breakfast, served warm, or as a dessert, served cold.
It’s also vegan, oil-free, sugar-free and gluten-free, not to mention, low-calorie, too.
Always be sure to rinse the Quinoa well. This helps to reduce any bitterness.
Combine all of the ingredients in your Instant Pot and stir well.
Select Pressure Cook (Manual) mode and set the cooking time for 2 minutes.
Once the cooking time is complete, allow a 10 minute NPR (Natural Pressure Release). All this means is – let your Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes and then carefully turn the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting to release any remaining pressure.
When all the pressure has been released, carefully remove the lid and transfer the inner pot to a heatproof surface.
Stir well and serve immediately or refrigerate or freeze for later use.
When we made this, we decided to refrigerate to have it for dessert later.
While saying that this recipe only takes 2 minutes to cook is technically accurate, it doesn’t give you the whole picture about how long it actually takes – start to finish – in the Instant Pot.
Here’s a breakdown of the actual time this particular recipe will be in your Instant Pot:
- Type of Instant Pot used: 6-quart Duo
- Time to come to pressure (from the time you push the button until it displays the cooking time: approximately 6 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 minutes
- NPR (Natural Pressure Release Time) this is the amount of time you just let it sit after the cooking time is complete: 10 minutes
- QR (Quick Release) this is the amount of time it takes for the Float Valve to drop after you have turned the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting: less than a minute
- Total Instant Pot time: approximately 18-19 minutes
We believe that having the WHOLE picture about the total amount of time required for a recipe allows for better scheduling, particularly if you’re coordinating cooking other recipes at the same time and want everything to be ready together.
Check out the complete, printable recipe at the end of this post.
Here’s a breakdown of the calories and nutrients per serving:
- Food energy: 113kcal
- Saturated fatty acids: 0.15g
- Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.35g
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.70g
- Total fat: 1.51g
- Calories from fat: 13
- Cholesterol: —
- Carbohydrate, by difference: 21.86g
- Total dietary fiber: 2.52g
- Protein: 3.36g
- Total lipid (fat): 1.33g
- Water: 49.41g
- Ash: 0.71g
- Total sugars: 6.77g
- Calcium: 17mg
- Iron: 1.09mg
- Magnesium: 45mg
- Phosphorus: 102mg
- Potassium: 181mg
- Sodium: 21mg
- Zinc: 0.70mg
- Copper: 0.15mg
- Manganese: 0.51mg
- Selenium: 2.09μg
- Vitamin C: 0.05mg
- Thiamin: 0.08mg
- Riboflavin: 0.07mg
- Niacin: 0.45mg
- Pantothenic acid: 0.22mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.12mg
- Folate, total: 40μg
- Folic acid: —
- Food folate: 40μg
- Folate: 40μg dietary folate equivalents
- Choline: —
- Vitamin B12: —
- Vitamin A: 4IU
- Vitamin A RAE: —
- Retinol: —
- Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol): 2.62mg
- Vitamin D µg: —
- Vitamin D IU: —
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone): 42.25μg
- Alpha-carotene: —
- Beta-carotene: —
- Beta-cryptoxanthin: —
- Lycopene: —
- Lutein+zeazanthin: —
- Percent refuse: —
Here’s the complete, printable recipe:
Instant Pot Cinnamon Quinoa
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- ½ cup quinoa, well rinsed
- ½ cup plant-based milk of your choice we used almond milk
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup honey dates, pitted and chopped
- Place all the ingredients in the inner liner of your Instant Pot and stir.
- Close and lock the lid, ensuring the Pressure Valve is in the Sealing position.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and set the cooking time for 2 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, allow a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Then do a Quick Release by carefully turning the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting.
- Once all of the pressure has been released, and the Float Valve has dropped, carefully open the lid and transfer the inner liner to a heatproof surface.
- Stir well and serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.
- Type of Instant Pot used: 6-quart DuoTotal Instant Pot time: approx. 18-19 minutes, broken down as follows:Time to come to pressure: approx. 6 minutesCooking time: 2 minutesNPR: 10 minutesTime for pressure to release after QR: less than a minute