Instant Pot Tutti Frutti Oatmeal Using the Pot in Pot Method
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free and oil-free.
With this recipe, we’re using the Pot-in-Pot method to cook the oatmeal. We like to do this, depending on the recipe, because it makes clean up a little easier.
With this method, you use a separate bowl, on a trivet, inside the inner liner of the Instant Pot. So, when cooking is done, the Instant Pot’s inner liner only needs a quick rinse and wipe and the smaller bowl can just go in the dishwasher.
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Start by putting a cup of water in the inner liner of your Instant Pot (if you’re using a 6-quart – 2 cups if you’re using and 8-quart) and then place the trivet in, too. Always be sure that the bowl you’re going to use for this is Instant Pot safe and that it leaves enough room between the edge of the bowl and the wall of the inner liner.
We chose a stainless steel bowl. You could also use ceramic or glass, however, be very careful with your choices and ensure that they are safe to use. Not all glass or ceramic containers will be suitable.
Next, combine all of the ingredients for the Tutti Frutti Oatmeal in the bowl and mix well.
Because the bowl is a snug fit (but not too snug!), we created a foil sling to make it easier to remove it when it’s done cooking.
Carefully place the bowl on the trivet, making sure the sling is positioned well under the bowl.
Fold the ends of the sling over slightly and then place the inner liner into the base of the Instant Pot, close and lock the lid ensuring the Pressure Valve is in the Sealing position.
Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and set the cooking time for 4 minutes.
Once cooking time is complete, use a Quick Release (QR) by carefully turning the Pressure Valve from Sealing to Venting.
Once all of the pressure has been released, and the Float Valve has dropped, carefully remove the inner liner to a heatproof surface.
Then, carefully, use the foil sling to transfer the cooked oatmeal to a heatproof surface.
Give the cooked oatmeal a good stir and serve hot for breakfast or refrigerate for later use (it make a great dessert, cold).
This recipe makes 4 servings and here’s the break down of calories and nutrients, per serving:
- Food energy: 205kcal
- Saturated fatty acids: 0.48g
- Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.85g
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.99g
- Total fat: 2.33g
- Calories from fat: 20
- Cholesterol: —
- Carbohydrate, by difference: 40.02g
- Total dietary fiber: 5.55g
- Protein: 7.03g
- Total lipid (fat): 2.77g
- Water: 149.14g
- Ash: 1.48g
- Total sugars: 9.50g
- Calcium: 32mg
- Iron: 2.10mg
- Magnesium: 76mg
- Phosphorus: 215mg
- Potassium: 288mg
- Sodium: 154mg
- Zinc: 1.61mg
- Copper: 0.30mg
- Manganese: 1.99mg
- Selenium: 0.40μg
- Vitamin C: 0.23mg
- Thiamin: 0.31mg
- Riboflavin: 0.07mg
- Niacin: 0.57mg
- Pantothenic acid: 0.60mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.07mg
- Folate, total: 23μg
- Folic acid: —
- Food folate: 23μg
- Folate: 23μg dietary folate equivalents
- Choline: —
- Vitamin B12: —
- Vitamin A: 3IU
- Vitamin A RAE: —
- Retinol: —
- Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol): 0.82mg
- Vitamin D µg: —
- Vitamin D IU: —
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone): 8.35μg
- Alpha-carotene: —
- Beta-carotene: —
- Beta-cryptoxanthin: —
- Lycopene: —
- Lutein+zeazanthin: —
- Percent refuse: —
Here’s the complete, printable recipe:
Instant Pot Tutti Frutti Oatmeal Using the Pot-in-Pot Method
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup old fashion oatmeal
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated apple chunks
- 6 honey dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl and add 1 cup water and trivet to inner pot of the Instant Pot and stir. Place bowl on trivet. Use a foil sling if required.
- Close and lock the lid ensuring that the Pressure Valve is turned to the Sealing position.
Select Pressure Cook (Manual) mode and set the cooking time for 4 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, carefully turn the Pressure Valve to Venting.
When all the pressure has been released, and the Float Valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the inner pot to a heatproof surface.
Give the oatmeal a good stir and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use (it makes a great dessert, cold).
- Instant Pot used: 6-quart duoTotal Instant Pot time: approx. 16 minutesTime to come to pressure: approx. 10 minutesCooking time: 4 minutesTime for pressure to release using a Quick Release: approx. 2 minutes